This course introduce the principles and practices that enable an organization to reliably and economically scale critical services. Introducing a site-reliability dimension requires organizational re-alignment, a new focus on engineering and automation, and the adoption of a range of new working paradigms.
The course highlights the evolution of SRE and its future direction, and equips participants with the practices, methods, and tools to engage people across the organization involved in reliability and stability evidenced through the use of real-life scenarios and case stories. Upon completion of the course, participants will have tangible takeaways to leverage when back in the office such as understanding, setting and tracking Service Level Objectives (SLO’s).
The course was developed by leveraging key SRE sources, engaging with thought-leaders in the SRE space and working with organizations embracing SRE to extract real-life best practices and has been designed to teach the key principles & practices necessary for starting SRE adoption.
This course positions participants to successfully complete the SRE Foundation certification exam.
10-11 Aug 2021
09:30 – 17:00
Total 14 training hours
Cantonese, supplemented with English terminology
HK$7,800* (May up to HK$5,200* subsidy)
- The history of SRE and its emergence at Google
- The inter-relationship of SRE with DevOps and other popular frameworks
- The underlying principles behind SRE
- Service Level Objectives (SLO’s) and their user focus
- Service Level Indicators (SLI’s) and the modern monitoring landscape
- Error budgets and the associated error budget policies
- Toil and its effect on an organization’s productivity
- Some practical steps that can help to eliminate toil
- Observability as something to indicate the health of a service
- SRE tools, automation techniques and the importance of security
- Anti-fragility, our approach to failure and failure testing
- The organizational impact that introducing SRE brings
Successfully passing (65%) the 60-minute examination, consisting of 40 multiple-choice questions, leads to the SRE (Site Reliability Engineering) Foundation certificate. The certification is governed and maintained by the DevOps Institute.
Award of Certificate of Attendance
Certificate of Attendance issued by the Hong Kong Productivity Council will be awarded to participants who are in full attendance.
- Anyone starting or leading a move towards increased reliability
- Anyone interested in modern IT leadership and organizational change approaches
The target for IT professionals including:
- Business Managers
- Business Stakeholders
- Change Agents
- DevOps Practitioners
- IT Directors
- IT Managers
- IT Team Leaders
- Product Owners
- Scrum Masters
- Software Engineers
- Site Reliability Engineers
- System Integrators
- Tool Providers
An understanding and knowledge of common DevOps terminology and concepts and related work experience are recommended.
Paulino KOK has over 30 years of technology working experience in various positions from application development, infrastructure technology, portfolio, program & project management, service management, security & risk management, leadership coaching, innovation design thinking facilitation, employment engagement & HR people operations, and agile & digital transformation. He has worked for both financial, manufacturing and retail industries for multi-national companies, two are components of the Dow Jones Industrial Index and Fortune 100 Best Companies.
Paulino is an accredited Trainer of DevOps Institute.